James Alexander Barclay
Born: October 29, 1923
Place of Birth: Glasgow, Scotland
Death: December 3, 2011
Club Affiliations: Abadan Golf CLub, Iran (1947-1951); Clandeboyne, Northern Ireland (1949-1968); Little Aden, Yemen (1954-1964); Kanawaki Golf Club, Quebec (1968-1980); St. Georges Golf and Country Club, Toronto (1980-2011)
Renowned as one of this country’s pre-eminent golf historians, Barclay is most famous for authoring Golf in Canada: A History – a book often referred to as Canada’s finest golf chronicle. Other notable works involve Canadian Professional Golfers – The Scottish Invasion of 1881 – 1933; The Toronto Terror; and St. George’s Golf and Country Club, Celebrating 75 Years. Barclay has also contributed to many other publications and served as volunteer curator of the Canadian Golf Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Golf in Canada: A History
- Canada's Professional Golfers - The Scottish Invasion of 1881-1933
- The Toronto Terror: The Life and Times of Stanley Thompson Golf Course Architect
- St. George's Golf & Country Club, Celebrating 75 Years (Published in 2004)
- The Golf Historical Society of Canada newsletter
- Golf Canada Magazine
- Score Golf Magazine
- Canadian Banker's Magazine
- Golfiana Magazine
- Manuscript completed on the life of Alexa Sterling Fraser
Other Items of Note:
- Announced as a 2006 inductee to the Ontario Golf Hall of Fame
- Served as volunteer curator of the RCGA Museum and Canadian Golf Hall of Fame for several years
- Responsible for running the Canadian Golf Foundation from 1983 to 1986
- His indices (index) to the Canadian Golfer, Canadian Sport Monthly, among other publications have made it possible to successfully reference the history of clubs and tournaments throughout Canada, specifically during the years between the wars.
- Inducted into the St.George's Golf & Country Club Hall of Fame in 2011.
To view images of James Barclay from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - Allan Balding
Next - David Barr
R. Keith Alexander / Stephen Ames / Allan Balding / James Barclay / David Barr / David L. Black / Kenneth Black / Gayle Borthwick / Jocelyne Bourassa / Gordon Brydson / Dorothy Campbell Hurd Howe / Donald Carrick / Dawn Coe-Jones / Graham Cooke / Geoffrey Cornish / Gary Cowan / George Cumming / Marion Doherty / Phil Farley / Pat Fletcher / Bruce Forbes / Brent Franklin / Richard Grimm / Daniel Albert Halldorson / Florence Harvey / Mary Ann Hayward / Wilf Homenuik / Jules Huot / Karl Keffer / Ben Kern / George Knudson / William Lamb / Stan Leonard / George Seymour Lyon / Ada Mackenzie / Henry Martell / Fritz Martin / Roderick Hugh McIsaac / Jack McLaughlin / Gail Moore / Alison Murdoch / Albert Murray / Charles Murray / James Nelford / Jack Nicklaus / Moe Norman / Marilyn Palmer O'Connor / Bob Panasik / Claude Pattemore / Sandra Post / Ralph Reville / Clinton Robinson / Stephen Ross / Doug Roxburgh / Lorne Rubenstein / Cathy Sherk / Douglas Howard Silverberg / C. Ross (Sandy) Somerville / Betty Stanhope-Cole / John B. Steel / Marlene Stewart Streit / Alexa Stirling Fraser / Violet Pooley Sweeny / Gordon B. Taylor / Stanley Thompson / Mabel Gordon Thomson / Margaret Todd / Murray Carlyle Tucker / Lisa (Young) Walters / Mike Weir / Nick Weslock / Gordon Witteveen / Robert Wylie / Richard Zokol