Violet Pooley Sweeny
Born: December 1886
Place of Birth: Victoria
Death: March 19, 1965
Category: Amateur Golfer
Club Membership(s): Victoria Golf Club 1900 - 1915
Jericho Golf Club 1915 - 1934
Born in Victoria in the later part of the nineteenth century, Violet Pooley Sweeny played in her first provincial championship in 1905 and won the title. A month later she took the Pacific Northwest Golf Association's Championship title. Over the course of the next 25 years, Violet Pooley Sweeny would capture 8 more provincial titles, and another six PNGA Championships.
In 1911, Sweeny reached the fourth round of the British Ladies' Championship. In 1913, she was the first overseas player to reach the semi-finals.
In addition to her record career as a player, Violet dedicated a great deal of herself back to the game, as a founder of the Canadian Ladies' Golf Union, as vice president of the organization in 1924, and provincial president for the CLGU for fourteen years.
Violet Pooley Sweeny's Record:
- 1905, 1909, 1914, 1920, 1923, 1927, 1928 Pacific Northwest Golf Champion
- Oregon State Champion 1909
- U.S Women's Championship 1913 - defeated in 2nd
- British Ladies' - 1911, defeated in 4th round by eventual champion
- Competed in only two Canadian Ladies' due to distance
- 1913 - defeated in 3rd round
- 1935 - defeated in semifinals
- BC Champion 1905, 1908, 1909, 1910, 1914, 1920,
1922, 1923, 1929
Other Items of Note:
- Member of BC Sports Hall of Fame
- Member of Pacific Northwest Golf Hall of Fame
- Vice President of CLGU 1924
- President of CLGU - BC Branch 1933 - 1946
To view images of Violet Pooley Sweeny from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - Alexa Stirling Fraser
Next - Gordon B. Taylor