C. Ross (Sandy) Somerville
Place of Birth: London, Ontario
Died: May 17, 1991
Golf Club Affiliations: London Hunt Club
Sandy Somerville's victory in the 1932 U.S. Amateur, a first for a foreign golfer, served notice that Canada was indeed a force on the international golf scene. Between 1926 and 1937, Somerville captured six Canadian Amateurs and was a finalist on four other occasions, a record of excellence that may never be equaled. A gentleman golfer throughout his lifetime, Somerville served as president of the RCGA in 1957.
Sandy Somerville's Record:
- United States Amateur Champion: 1932
- Canadian Amateur Champion: 1926, 1928, 1930, 1931, 1935, 1937
- Manitoba Amateur Champion in 1926.
- Runner-up in the North and South Championship in 1930.
- Semi-finalist in British Amateur in 1938. six times; runner-up 4 times..
- Winner of Canadian Senior's Championship in 1960 and 1965; co-winner in 1961 and 1966.
Other Items of Note:
- In 1950 Sandy Somerville was rated by Canadian Press as Canada's top golfer of the half century.
- Impressive record in other sports, (hockey, football and cricket), marks him as one of Canada’s best all-round athletes.
- In 1953 he served as President of London Hunt & Country Club
To view images of C. Ross (Sandy) Somerville from the museum collection, click here.
Previous - Douglas Howard Silverberg
Next - Betty Stanhope-Cole